One of the most important parts of a marriage proposal is the ring. It’s the symbol of engagement, an unmistakable mark of a fiancé. So why on earth would I suggest you use a fake one? Sometimes, it’s better safe than sorry. Here’s my top five scenarios that you might want to consider using a fake ring for! And just to be clear, I do suggest a ‘real ring’ whatever that means to you and your fiancé- just maybe not for the proposal.
1. On a suspension bridge. Or any bridge, cliff, or place that excitement could result in a ring down (and there’s no way to get it back/find it). But all of those places make for incredibly romantic proposals- so don’t rule them out! Just look at this gorgeous shot from Kunioo– one of my favourite proposals to be a part of on the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Speaking of bridge proposals (gone wrong), this story is a cute read!
2. Anywhere close to water. We’ve all heard the horror stories of a newly engaged couple who doesn’t have the ring because they lost it in the ocean (you have that friend, right?). If you’re on the beach, planning an underwater proposal, on a romantic canoe ride, or on your family dock- save your real diamond until you’re safely on dry land. This gorgeous photo was taken shortly before a wave came up- you can see the whole series here.
Along the same lines as water is on the snow. That stuff can be tricky! If you’re on top of a mountain, on a chairlift, or enjoying the ‘winter wonderland’ at the park- if you’re planning to propose where there’s lot’s of snow- like this sweet snowboarding proposal, plan to use a fake ring!
3. Involving your favourite four legged friend- You never know what your pet may do and the last thing you want is to have your dog get distracted and chase the neighbour cat around the yard or mistake the ring for a shiny treat and have you spending the night at the vet office retrieving it. Attach the fake ring and if all goes accordingly to plan (we have our fingers crossed for you), have the real ring ready for the big moment. We love these dog friendly proposals on How He Asked that we guarantee your sweetheart won’t say no to.
4. If you’re proposal plan includes hiding the ring (in a public place)– employ a fake ring. One of my good friends enjoyed Geocaching. Her soon-to-be-husband hid a ring box with a love note where she would discover the hidden ‘cache’, while he kept the real ring safely in his pocket. This photo is totally not from a scavenger hunt- but it makes me so happy. You can read about the whole proposal here.
5. Last, but not least– if you and your sweetheart plan to customize a ring together, get a fake ring to hold it’s place. She’ll be thrilled to have a surprise proposal- and you’ll be thrilled to know she’s getting the exact ring she’s been dreaming of.
Now I’m just dreaming up exciting ways you could propose with a fake ring! Can you think of any ways that I might have missed in my list? Do you know someone who proposed with a fake ring (or should have!)? I’d love for you to tell me about it!
Are YOU about to pop the question? Don’t tackle it alone- get a buddy to help out with the logistics and calm your nerves. Perhaps you want more professional assistance? Pop on over to our contact page to say hello and save your date!